The federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requires that Oregon Coast Community College, with certain exceptions, obtain a student’s written consent prior to the disclosure of personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records. However, Oregon Coast Community College and other educational institutions may disclose what the College (OCCC) has defined as “directory information” without written consent, unless the student has advised the College (OCCC) to the contrary in accordance with Oregon Coast Community College procedure.
One purpose of directory information is to allow Oregon Coast Community College to include information from student education records in certain college publications, or to local news media to recognize student achievements and awards. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- A list of OCCC graduates, their degrees/certificates completed, and awards received, provided to local newspapers;
- Publication of student achievement of honors and President’s/Deans’ List awards;
- Publication of graduation programs;
- Recognition of scholarship recipients.
Under FERPA law, student directory information, which is information that is generally not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if released, can also be disclosed to outside organizations without the student’s prior written consent. Outside organizations to whom Oregon Coast Community College may release student directory information include, but are not limited to,
- Employers considering students for interviews, seeking verification of degrees/certificates completed or in progress;
- Other institutions of higher education;
- Local agencies to provide confirmation of student status for housing requests.
OCCC Definition of Student Directory Information:
In recognition of its responsibility to protect both the family privacy and the safety of its students, Oregon Coast Community College defines and limits directory information to include only the following student information:
- Student’s name
- Major field of study
- Dates of attendance
- Enrollment status (e.g., undergraduate or graduate, full-time or part-time)
- Grade level
- Degrees, honors, and awards received
Student Directory Information Opt-out Procedure:
If a student does not want Oregon Coast Community College to disclose any or all of the types of information designated above as directory information from their education records without their prior written consent, the student must notify the Registrar at Oregon Coast Community College by using the opt-out provisions within the FERPA/Student Directory Information/Solomon Amendment notification sent to students each term, or by completing the
OCCC Student Directory Information Opt-out Form. Student opt-outs must be received by the date specified within the notification.