ECE 123P : Environments and Curriculum for Preschool
Covers developing meaningful and challenging preschool curriculum and environments with a focus on the importance of play. Incorporates developmentally and culturally appropriate pedagogy and inclusion to plan learning experiences, physical and social environments, routines and transitions, and family involvement. Covers assessing and documenting children's learning.
Requires: Ten hours of observations and field trips.
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Plan for indoor and outdoor classrooms, understanding the impact of social, emotional, cognitive, physical and language development on young children.
- Apply developmental theories for children's indoor and outdoor learning when planning indoor and outdoor activities.
- Distinguish the difference between developmentally and culturally appropriate practices.
- Use documentation and environment ratings scales to develop and assess curriculum and environments.
- Explain indoor and outdoor environment set-up, materials and schedules.
- Create indoor and outdoor lesson plans and activity plans for different learning styles, abilities and needs.
- Demonstrate emergent curriculum and project approach knowledge and skills.