ECE 224 : Multicultural Practice: Curriculum & Implementation
Develops awareness of cultural and ethnic issues as they relate to the early childhood classroom teacher. Focuses on ethnocentrism, racism and discrimination. Includes techniques for developing multi-cultural, anti-bias curriculum.
This course will present to students knowledge of the ways culture and ethnicity influence expectations, behaviors, and relationships between children, parents, and early childhood professionals. In addition, knowledge of curriculum development and implementation, of the teacher's role in helping children and parents adapt to early childhood settings, and of advocacy techniques will be presented.
- Define applicable terms in including ethnocentrism, racism, prejudice, discrimination, etc.
- Identify and describe socio-cultural influences on the family and child development
- Identify and describe your own cultural roots, personal values, and attitudes
- Identify and describe issues impacting minorities in our society
- Analyze materials and activities for multi-culturalism and bias
- Plan anti-bias, multicultural, developmentally appropriate activities for young children
- Identify community resources for children, families, and early childhood professionals
- Identify various styles and opportunities of advocacy for children and families