ECE 232 : Math and Science for Young Children
Explores actively engaging infants through preschool age children in science and math concepts. Covers planning experiences that are meaningful, challenging, developmentally and culturally appropriate for indoor and outdoor classrooms. Connects everyday knowledge and skills to math and science.
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Understand math and science content for infants through preschool age.
- Create appropriate experiences and research-based teaching for mathematical and scientific concepts, methods, and language for indoor and outdoor classrooms for infants, toddlers and preschoolers.
- Develop children’s curiosity, imagination, flexibility, inventiveness, and persistence.
- Encourage preschool children to ask questions, conduct investigations, collect data, and look for answers.
- Provide math and science opportunities and investigations relevant to infant and toddler development.
- Integrate knowledge of social, emotional, physical, cognitive, language development, developmentally and culturally appropriate pedagogy.
- Use child-centered and project based learning relevant to infants, toddlers and preschool age children.