ENG 205 : Survey of English Literature
The second half of a two-course survey of British literature that includes English 204. English 205 introduces students to British literature from the 19th century to the present.
Instructors may choose an anthology, complete works, or a combination of both. The course will meet the requirements of a survey, emphasizing breadth over depth.
Equivalent placement test scores also accepted.
The students will:
- Explore basic critical approaches to texts of English literature for the time period of 1785 to the present.
- Identify relationships between form and meaning in English literature in the time period of 1785 to the present.
- Make connections among texts and historical, political, and cultural contexts.
- Recognize literary conventions and build a critical vocabulary with which to discuss and write about literature.
- Write clear, focused, coherent essays about literature for an academic audience using standard English conventions of grammar and style.
This course fulfills the following GE requirements: Arts and Letters/AAOT, Arts and Letters/AS, Arts and Letters/AAS, Arts and Letters/AGS, Arts and Letters/ASOT-B.