Introduces foundational knowledge and skills necessary to deliver routine patient care to residents of long term care and other care facilities. Covers personal care nursing skills, restorative services, mental health services, social needs, and patient rights. Includes an introduction to anatomy and physiology. This course meets the Oregon State Board of Nursing requirements for eligibility to apply for Nursing Assistant 1 certification.
- Utilize appropriate infection control measures while providing patient care, including hand hygiene, disposal of contaminated articles, and hazardous wastes.
- Utilize proper body mechanics and safey transfer to prevent injury to self and client.
- Implement basic principles of personal care, including bathing, hair care, dressing/undressing, oral care, shaving and nail care.
- Utilize basic communication and interpersonal skills with patients as well as staff members, family members, and other health care team members.
- Provide safe and effective patient care to include meeting basic needs, personal care, restorative services, mental health services, social needs and patient rights.
- Distinguish between personal and professional values and legal/ethical responsibilities in practice.