Social Security Number
Use of Social Security Numbers
The following is Oregon Coast Community College’s official disclosure statement regarding use of Social Security numbers:
Official Disclosure Statement OAR 581-41-460 authorizes Oregon Coast Community College to ask students to provide their Social Security numbers. The number will be used by the College for re- porting, research, and record keeping. Numbers will also be provided by the College to the Oregon Community College Unified Reporting System (OCCURS), which is a group made up of all community colleges in Oregon, the State Department of Community Colleges and Workforce Development, and the Oregon Community College Association.
OCCURS gathers information about students and programs to meet state and federal reporting requirements. It also helps colleges plan, research, and develop programs. This information helps the colleges to support the progress of students and their success in the workplace and other education programs.
OCCURS, or the College, may provide Social Security numbers to the following agencies or match it with the records from the following systems:
- State and private universities, colleges, and vocational schools, to determine how many community college students go on with their education and determine if community college courses are a good basis for further education;
- The Oregon Employment Department, for analysis which helps state and local agencies plan education and training services to help Oregon citizens get the best jobs available;
- The Oregon Department of Education, to provide reports
to the state and federal governments. The information is used to learn about education, training, and job market trends for planning, research, and program improvement.
- The Workers Compensation Division, to track the successful training of injured workers.
- The Oregon Department of Revenue and collection agencies for purposes of processing debts and only if credit is extended to the student by the College.
- The National Student Loan Clearinghouse for student financial aid processing and/or research on transferring loans.
- The Internal Revenue Service, to provide required information related to the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997.
Oregon Coast may also release Social Security numbers to firms or agencies under contract with the College to provide instruction or research services.