Transfer Credit Standards and Credit for Prior Learning Processes

OCCC follows the transfer credit and credit for prior learning standards of its contracting college. Credits from other institutions may be accepted toward degree requirements if they were completed at a regionally accredited college or university. For degree-seeking students the contracting college (PCC) evaluates coursework for Lower Division Collegiate (LDC) and Upper Division Collegiate (UDC) classes from regionally accredited institutions where grades of A, B, C, or P/S (Pass/Satisfactory) were earned. P/S grades are only transferable if the transferring institution awarded that grade for C or higher. If a D was considered P/S, it is not transferable. OCCC students must consult with their academic advisor to determine what constitutes LDC. Career Technical Education coursework may be applied to a degree or certificate upon the evaluation and approval of the department chair. Early in their program, students should consult with the departmentchair of the appropriate program for assistance.

Transfer GPA is not included in the overall GPA on transcripts.

For non-degree seeking students the college evaluates coursework in order to satisfy prerequisites, as well as commonly used preparatory coursework in other subject areas (e.g. Biology). To request evaluation of your transfer credits, submit the transfer credit evaluation request which can be found on MyPCC. You must be a current credit student to request a transfer credit evaluation. Submit this request after you have requested official transcripts from all schools where you have transfer coursework be sent to OCCC. OCCC will retrain the original transcript and send a copy via secure methods to PCC.

Transfer evaluations are performed in the order in which they are received. The College will not provide copies of transcripts from other institutions to students or other institutions. The PCC Student Records Office is responsible for determining acceptance of transfer work to meet college requirements. Students should meet with an academic advisor to review program requirements.

In order to receive credit toward an OCCC certificate or degree, it is the responsibility of each student with transcripts (credits) from international schools to have them translated (if necessary) and evaluated course by course by a service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. Further information can be found at:

Students who complete Advanced Placement (AP) Exams may be eligible to receive college credit based on the exam score. Students must have official AP scores sent to OCCC, along with the Non- Traditional Credit form. A list of AP exams accepted by the contracting college and credit received is available on the PCC Student Records website: placement.html
To request a copy of AP exam scores to be sent to OCCC, contact the Advanced Placement Program. This information can be found at the address listed below or the following website: https:// apstudent.collegeboard.orgAdvanced Placement Program PO Box 6671 Princeton, NJ 08541-6671 1-877-274-6474.

Students who complete International Baccalaureate (IB) Exams may be eligible to receive college credit based on the exam score. Students must have an official IB transcript of scores sent to OCCC, along with the Non-Traditional Credit form. A list of IB exams accepted by the contracting college and credit received is available at resources/student-records/ib.html. Students may request official IB transcripts by contacting: IB Americas Global Centre Attn: Transcript Officer 7501 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 200 West Bethesda, MD 20814 USA email: phone: 301-202- 3025 For more information on ordering transcripts please see the International Baccalaureate website: pts/.

Students using any type of Federal Veterans Administration (VA) Education Benefit are required to have all prior credit history evaluated. It is the student's responsibility to request official transcripts from all previous colleges and submit them to OCCC. Students must also complete and submit the Transfer Credit Evaluation request found on MyPCC. A student's first term of VA benefits may be certified while waiting for transcript evaluation, however no subsequent terms will be certified for VA Benefits until transfer credit evaluation is complete. All credits will be evaluated and transferred according to the policies stated in this catalog.

Credit for prior learning (CPL) may be awarded to students who can demonstrate college-level learning in subject areas that the contracting college offers. Credit awarded for prior learning must be directly applicable to meet requirements for general education, a certificate, a degree, or electives as outlined in the catalog. Credit awarded for prior learning may not be used to meet the college residency requirement. Students are responsible for the fees charged for processing the CPL request. The contracting college offers two types of CPL: institutionally assessed and externally assessed; these are defined in this catalog.

Institutionally Assessed CPL
Institutionally assessed CPL is awarded through the course challenge process and may include:
portfolio evaluations
performance evaluations

The contracting college considers this type of credit to be prior experiential learning which, according to accreditation standards, shall not exceed 25% of the credits applied to a degree or certificate. Institutionally assessed CPL is awarded for active courses. Not all courses can be challenged. Each Subject Area Committee (SAC) shall determine which of its courses can be challenged. See S701: Subject Area Committees
Students who believe that they satisfy the content and outcome objectives of a current course must obtain the approval of the appropriate entity to challenge the course. Students cannot challenge courses in which they are currently enrolled or that already appear on their transcripts. A course may only be challenged once. The challenge measurement and process established by the SAC shall assess whether a student has met the course content and outcome objectives so that credit can be awarded. An instructor who teaches the course shall determine the grade earned by the student. The grade shall be submitted through the faculty department chair, division dean, or administrative supervisor. In the event that the instructor is also the faculty department chair, the grade shall be submitted through the relevant division dean or administrative supervisor. Only grades of C or P or better will be transcripted as institutional credit and designated with a CPL notation.

Externally Assessed CPL
Externally assessed CPL is awarded for learning that has been assessed outside the traditional college setting. Examples of external assessments that may warrant the awarding of CPL include:
industry certifications (e.g., CDA, CPR,
professional licensure
ACE-recommended credit for corporate courses or
exams, Joint Services Transcripts (JST) coursework,
or military occupations (MOS)
College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST)

According to accreditation standards, externally assessed CPL is not considered credit for prior experiential learning so it is not subject to the 25% limit on the credits applied to a degree or certificate. Externally assessed CPL is awarded in subject areas that the contracting college offers and may include specific course numbers or elective credit in that subject area. A SAC member (e.g., a faculty department chair) shall recommend the amount of credit awarded. Students are responsible for providing official transcripts, score reports, certifications, or any documents required for conducting a CPL evaluation. Externally assessed CPL is transcripted in the same manner as transfer credit and is not considered institutional credit.