Covers uses, safety, nomenclature, equipment operation, set-up and shutdown procedures for SMAW and OAC. Prerequisites: Department permission required. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This is a outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, videos, and lab demonstrations technical skills. Course outcomes will include: theoretical concepts, layout, fabrication, welding, oxy-fuel cutting, and safety.
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Function safely in the PCC Welding Lab
- Operate oxy-fuel portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards
- Understand and apply fundamentals of SMAW E7024 operations
- Interpret blueprints to accurately lay out, prepare, and assemble weld joints
- Weld common joint assemblies with E7024 electrode to AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Welding Code
- Apply visual examination principles and practices in accordance with AWS D1.1