Develops knowledge and skills in the use of E7018 mild steel electrodes when performing various welds in the flat, horizontal and vertical positions. Prerequisites: Department permission required.
Addendum to Course Description
This is a outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, videotapes, and lab demonstrations of technical skills. Course outcomes will include: theoretical concepts, lay out, fabrication, welding, oxy-fuel cutting and safety.
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Function safely in the OCCC Welding lab.
- Operate oxy-fuel portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards.
- Understand and apply fundamentals of SMAW E7018 operations.
- Interpret blueprints to accurately lay out, prepare, and assemble weld joints.
- Weld common joint assemblies with the E7018 electrode to AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Welding Code.
- Apply visual examination principles and practices in accordance with AWS D1.1.