Develops knowledge and skills in the use of E6011 mild steel electrodes when performing various welds in the flat, horizontal and vertical positions. Prerequisites: Department approval required. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This is a outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, computer based instruction, and lab demonstrations covering technical skills. Course outcomes will include: theoretical concepts, lay out, fabrication, welding, oxy-fuel cutting and safety.
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Function safely in the OCCC Welding Lab.
- Operate oxy-fuel portable and track cutting systems in accordance with industry standards.
- Understand and apply fundamentals of SMAW E6011 operations.
- Interpret blueprints to accurately lay out, prepare, and assemble weld joints.
- Weld common joint assemblies with the E6011 electrode to AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Welding Code.
- Apply visual examination principles and practices in accordance with AWS D1.1.