Develops arithmetic fluency and the conceptual basis, and applications of integers, fractions, decimals, percents, and measurements. A scientific calculator may be required. The TI-30XS or TI-30XIIS is recommended. The OCCC math department recommends that students take MTH courses in consecutive terms.
Addendum to Course Description
- Students will be evaluated not only on their ability to get correct answers and perform correct steps, but also on the accuracy of the presentation itself.
- Application problems must be answered in complete sentences.
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Perform accurate arithmetic computations in a variety of expressions and applications.
- Apply mathematical problem solving strategies.
- Effectively communicate mathematical reasoning.