MUS 206 : Introduction to the History of Rock Music
Introduces the history of rock music. Examines rock music's roots and development, its innovators and significant events through a cultural as well as musical perspective.
Equivalent placement test scores also accepted.
Upon successful completion, students will be able to:
- Use an understanding of the technological advancements and development of the record industry during the 20th and 21st centuries (in relation to rock music) to interpret and understand current and possible future technological trends in music.
- Use an understanding of the cultural and sociological dynamics that created rock music to better integrate ones own beliefs effectively into the community.
- Cultivate a personal set of aesthetic and artistic values informed by an understanding of the development of genres, innovations, and trends in rock music.
- Use the ability to examine and analyze a piece of music based on structural and expressive elements to interpret and understand other communicative media.
- Employ knowledge of rock music’s development to analyze current social and cultural trends and their relation to past social and cultural movements.
This course fulfills the following GE requirements: Arts and Letters/AS, Arts and Letters/AAS, Arts and Letters/AGS, Arts and Letters/ASOT-B, Arts and Letters/AAOT.