Group instruction in piano performance. Intent of course is the development of piano proficiency skills. Focus given to basic keyboard technique, score reading and performance, sight-reading, harmonization, accompanying, and transposition. Designed for music majors but is available to all students.
No previous experience required.
This course is required for students who plan on majoring in music at a four-year institution and is strongly recommended for any student wishing to study music theory. The course is open to all students
The material for the course will be presented in a lecture/lab format. Instruction will take place in an electronic piano lab. The piano lab should facilitate practical examination. Students will be required to apply the material through music performance on the piano keyboard. Musical examples from a wide array of genres will be used to demonstrate the concepts covered. Lectures may be enhanced through the use of multimedia technologies.
- Students will able to accurately perform the major and minor scales in all keys (one octave, separate hands)
- Students will be able to accurately construct and perform the ancient church modes in all keys.
- Students will be able to accurately construct and perform basic triad arpeggios (hand over hand, ascending and descending, diatonic and chromatic)
- Students will be able to construct and accurately perform all inversions of basic triads.
- Students will be able to construct and accurately perform pentascales built on each scale degree of the major and minor scales.
- Students will be able to construct and accurately perform pentascales based on whole tone and chromatic scales.
- Students will be able to identify the quality of triads built on any major or minor scale degree.
- Students will be able to construct and perform chord progressions using the primary triads in all major and minor keys.
- Students will be able to successfully harmonize a single-line melody using proper chord progression.
- Students will be able to read and perform basic rhythms at sight.
- Students will be able to read and perform basic (beginning level) piano compositions at sight.
- Students will be able to accurately perform transpositions of five finger pieces.