Emphasizes active communication in beginning Spanish. Includes listening, speaking, reading, writing, pronunciation, structure, vocabulary and culture. For beginners.
Equivalent placement test scores also accepted.
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Manage basic interactions, in both oral and written forms, in highly predictable settings using basic vocabulary in the present tense.
- Develop circumlocution and inference skills, at a beginning level, when navigating a limited number of real world situations in Spanish.
- Recognize linguistic and cultural diversity within the Spanish-speaking world and how it differs and/or relates to one’s own culture.
- Identify selected historical and cultural movements in the target culture through exposure to literature, art, music, film and/or performing arts in the target language.
- Acquire strategies for analyzing authentic materials in the target language.